2013-2014 Global Exchanges
2013-2014 workshop (June 2014): Warsaw, Poland
in collaboration with University of Warsaw Collegium Artes Liberales on "Borderlands"
NU participants: Sean HARVEY, Ashley JOHNSON, Keith RATHBONE, Blake SMITH, joined by Professors Henry Binford, Yohanan Petrovsky-Shtern, and Elzbieta Foeller-Pituch, with Professors Jan Kieniewicz, Ewa Lukaszyk, and Piotr Wilczek on the Polish side.
In 2014 the Center started a new international initiative--an exchange program in partnership with the Institute of Historical Research in London (IHR) for graduate students in their second year and beyond.
A group of 7 NU graduate students spent Spring Break (March 23-30) in London at the IHR, participating in a graduate student conference (with US students as commentators) as well as exploring London's abundant archival and library resources. The British-based students visited for a week in May, attending lectures and seminars with their US hosts and participating in CCHS's Spring graduate conference on "Reputations in History."
The paired participants:
- Kevin BAKER (NU) and Ben TAYLOR (King’s College London)
- Ryan BURNS (NU) and Signy ALLEN (Queen Mary College, U of London)
- Brian DRUCHNIAK (NU) and Teresa Segura GARCIA (U of Cambridge)
- Gavin FORT (NU) and Claire TRENERY (Royal Holloway, U of London)
- Beth HEALEY (NU) and Charlie HALL (U of Kent)
- Blake SMITH (NU) and Georgiana RANNARD (U of Edinburgh)
- Rachel TAYLOR (NU) and Simon PARSONS (Royal Holloway, U of London)
Dean of Libraries Sarah Pritchard, Center Assistant Director Elzbieta Foeller-Pituch and Librarian Harriet Lightman show off the 7 volumes (2008-2013) of the proceedings of the Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies (IBI) at the University of Warsaw, a gift to the University Library from the Faculty of "Artes Liberales," our host for the joint 2014 international doctoral workshop on "Borderlands" in Warsaw.Back to top